Location: South Shore
Role type: Full time; Continue
Faculty: Faculty of Fine Arts and Music
Department/School: Victorian College of Arts
Salary: Level B $107,547 – $127,707 per year plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and honor the traditional owners of the lands on which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung peoples, the Yorta Yorta nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung people. We recognize that the land on which we meet and learn was the site of centuries-old ceremonies, celebration, initiation and renewal, and that local Indigenous peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the lives of these lands.
About the Victorian College of the Arts
The Victorian College of the Arts is internationally recognized as a leading tertiary institution for artistic invention. It has a proven track record in developing tomorrow’s changemakers, as evidenced by the achievements of its alumni. The VCA today offers a unique range of programs in the visual arts, performing arts and media, taught by staff who are experts in their fields.
VCA Drama has a long-established reputation as a leader in training actors, directors, writers and playwrights for the Asia-Pacific region.
About the role
We are looking for an academic to provide artistic and scholarly vision and coordination as a Theater Lecturer with VCA Drama. As a Theater Lecturer, you will be responsible for the development and delivery of the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Theater), an industry-tailored performing arts program. You will contribute to teaching, learning and research within VCA Drama and have a strong professional knowledge of the contemporary theatre, performance and live art sectors, its historical and contemporary practitioners and its emerging and established training paradigms.
- Prepare and deliver lectures, workshops and seminars at the undergraduate and postgraduate course levels that align with departmental strategic priorities
- Deliver innovative, high-quality, student-centered blended learning activities, both face-to-face and online, with a commitment to student-centered outcomes and well-being
- Contribute to the development, coordination and planning of all units and subjects of the BFA and Breadth course
- Develop and maintain relevant and high quality curricula, courses and subjects in the discipline of theater in consultation with appropriate staff
You will be an experienced speaker with training in a theatrical higher education context and experience in interpretive theories and techniques. You possess strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to recognize and respect diversity and personal differences.
You will also have:
- A doctorate or professional practice of equivalent duration and/or level recognized by the selection committee
- Significant teaching experience at the graduate level in the context of theater creation and contemporary performance
- Experience in the design and development of undergraduate and postgraduate programs at tertiary level
- Experience coordinating existing academic and/or arts programs in a cost effective manner
To ensure that the University continues to provide a safe environment for all, this position requires the incumbent to hold an up-to-date and valid working with children verification.
Please note: to be considered for this role, you must have valid Australian working rights.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the best universities in the world. We are proud of our staff, our commitment to excellence in research and teaching, and our global engagement.
Benefits of working with us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and meet challenges, and to be part of the dynamic campus life, our employees enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible work arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leaves
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary package and leave loading
- Free and subsidized health and wellness services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services, including Myki and Qantas Club cards
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To learn more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those who identify as LGBTQIA+, women, people of all ages, people with disabilities, and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our goal is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you think this role is right for you, please submit your application, including a brief cover letter, resume, and responses to the selection criteria^ (found in the job description) for the role.
^For information to help you compile short statements to meet the selection criteria and competencies, please see http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are committed to ensuring barrier-free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at [email protected]
Closing of applications: November 14, 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Job description: 0057332_Lecturer in Contemporary Theater_PD.pdf